Friday, July 10, 2009

Musings on motherhood...

Today as my husband attended a funeral for a friend's mother, it got me to thinking about why as mothers we raise our children the way we do and is there a correct way. Once at a family party for this same friend's birthday, I was speaking to a nephew of his who had to get himself up for school, now that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard of one, and basically be responsible for himself. He was also failing whatever grade he was in at the jr. high. At the other end of the Spectrum you have the"helicopter" parent whose children don't fail no matter what the parent must do. I have also known these parents and the children almost always end up failing sooner or later. Is the answer the same as in most things, moderation? I have done my best to support and encourage my children without doing for them. So far, the oldest two (Dayne is #2) have been successful so far. the most fun I have had is being involved with them in high school. Now I must work there to get my fill. Number three child on the other hand, gives me grief no matter what I do. So maybe in the end it's pure luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment