Monday, September 7, 2009

Woo Hoo, I got an email!

Oh yea, I feel lucky today, except I still don't feel well. I certainly didn't do ANY labor today.

Dayne arrived and is doing well, the food all has an Italian twist; except my pasta always came with sauce, not grease, lol, poverino! At least the Tattersall's always get to the bathroom first! He said,"I´ve been here a week and it has been really good, and nothing like i expected. Let me give you a visual of what its like. Close your eyes and imagine nice water fountains off the sides of the streets, nice brick homes and a nice clear view of the ocean. Do you have a good visual? Well i regret to inform you that it is the oppositte of that. I teach people that live in little shacks along dirt roads, trash everywhere, and open sewers (zancas). It reminds
me exactly of the shanty towns they built i think in world war two. It has to be the
dirtiest place i have seen in my life, but i love it. The name of the area is something like Thomas Flores. I donĂ‚´t know about when they starting building the area but there sure aren´t flowers now. The people here have absolutely nothing. They are way humble and will do anything for the missionaries. You could consider them well off or wealthy if they have a cement path to their door, which isn´t many. After my mission we should move down here ha ha just kidding. . Luckily we don´t live in that area. We take a twenty minute bus ride from our decent pench(apartment) into an area then we walk in to where we teach."

It sounds like Napoli; hey, I loved Napoli, but the stench, rats and piles of garbage aren't things you can ignore. The language is the usual, you get to your destination and wonder what they taught you in the MTC. At least the children get a laugh at his expense! He thinks it funny that all they have to do is bend over to reach and the dogs run off, he's never seen so many; just as Pavlov's dogs learned to associate, these dogs have learned that the reach means thrown rocks.

It was so good to hear from him, although a physical address would have been nice. If anyone wants to write, he can be reached at dayne.m.tattersall@mylds.net. I'll update when I get a physical address.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment