Sunday, September 20, 2009

Update on Dayne

I'm a bit slow getting this up as it was last Monday and Tuesday that I heard from Dayne. His 2 letters were more like "notes", but it's good to hear from him whatever we can get. Here are some excerpts from his letters:
All of the argentines have a hard time saying my name and so do the other elders in our apartment so they all call me tatty. It sounds pretty funny with the spanish accent. Nothing funny has really happened yet. It was a great week with a lot of success. We found seventeen new investigators and got two more baptism dates. For a district activity today we watched madagascar two and played soccer for an hour. It was fun playing soccer because the churchs have cement soccer courts that we play on. I did a companion exchange with the zone leaders and went to another area. it was fun because the part of the mission i went to was nice and actually a city and not dirt. I enjoy the little stinky shacks and dirt roads though. Its fun to see frogs hopping around as we walk to the bus stop. All the kids go through the garbage out in the fields looking for cool things to play with. The area that im in is really ugly. I hear that other parts of argentina are super pretty. The food here doesnt have much flavor so i dont know if dad would be able to survive here without having any salt on his food. I love it here and the members are amazing. I love going to church because the spirit is so strong and there is actually an argentine that speaks pretty good english. I can understand most things in the lessons but cant say much. I just sit there and look cute and occasionally bear my testimony and say something. i need to go so see you later!"
"Hey! I made it back to the computer today and the computer screen is bouncing around like crazy and I think I’m getting hypnotized. We just go to random computer places and pay to use a computer. I don’t know my physical address because we have the mail sent to the mission home. I think we get it once a week so you can send it there if you want to send me random things. I don’t think you will have to worry bout me getting fat here, ha ha, the food isn’t the best and the cookies that everyone loves here, I don’t like. Luckily there is a store with American food like peanut butter. It was 20 pesos for a jar but it was worth it because that is all I eat. ? I was just thinking about the day we first got here. The first thing elder coats said was that this place looks like it is from the movie I am legend and to my surprise that is one of the nicest areas. It is warming up here and I think summer is going to be miserable. I am loving it here though and it’s going to be weird coming back to America when its I’ll be so used to Argentina. It was cool, last week I saw a dog that had a tumor in its chest that hung down a foot and was the size of baseball. It almost dragged on the ground and just had long stretchy skin up to its chest. I try not to touch the dogs much because a lot of them have flees. We work hard out here. we don’t have a dinner break so we get back to the pench at nine thirty eat, plan, and get to bed."
It sounds like he's getting along quite well and adapting, except for the food that is. We miss him, but are glad that he is serving the Lord and his children.
There should be another letter tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment