Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Update for week of 9/28

Dayne's letter this week brought back many memories for me. I hope that this will get read and that someone, somewhere, will learn something from his words. Dayne's own words say it best, so I will paste them in a moment; but first of all I of course need to add my own commentary. My biggest shock is that Dayne is being made fun of as he has always been the king of cool, second of all, why in heavens name are you elders and prospective elders out there if it isn't to work diligently ( see D&C 4) and do the Savior's work? You have been called to a sacred calling and it needs to be taken seriously.

I absolutely know what I am talking about as the summer of '85 in Rome saw it's share of rule breaking. Luckily I was blessed with a tender mercy, because I too like to have fun, and was not invited to anything due to a companion situation. What a blessing that was. It still makes me feel sick to think how I would have felt had I participated. This is a very serious work that can be done with a degree of fun; the trick is to keep your eye "single to the glory of God."

(Dayne) "As far as the work in Argentina, it is tough but rewarding. I can really feel that i am being blessed and Heavenly Father is helping me. I am trying to be 100 percent obedience so I am able to have the spirit and find the people that are ready to receive our Heavenly Fathers gospel. It's not easy because not many missionaries have the same desire unfortunately. When i first got here i was devastated to see what went on in the mission. My mtc teacher gave me advice before i left, he told me I´m a natural leader and I cant be afraid to be the best missionary I possibly can. It is really tough though but through the scriptures i find strength. That is why the scriptures are so important in our lives and you all should read them every day. They help us through our problems and we can feel our Heavenly Fathers and our Saviors love for them. I really look up to Nephi because he was the younger brother and he wasn´t afraid to be too righteous. He also obeyed no matter what his brothers did to him. He was really blessed and the spirit was strong with him. I get made fun of by others missionaries but its going to be worth it in the end. I've been blessed and Heavenly Father has been humbling them. In the MTC we watched a re run talk that i´ll never forget. I can´t remember who it was ha ha but it was a twelve apostle and i have who it is in my notes. In the talk he said salvation isn´t cheap and its not meant to be. A mission isn´t easy and its not meant to be. It was even tough for the Savior to upon all of our sins and sorrows but he did. This talk gives me a lot of strength and I´m really trying to just focus on my investigators. THis talk applies to all of us though. Life isn´t easy and its not meant to be. Salvation isn´t cheap. Whenever we need help with life I know we can always turn to our Savior Jesus Christ because he has felt everything we have gone through and he is helping me a lot in my mission."

And now for the humor, "I only have one funny story to tell you about this week. It was my companions birthday and for his birthday we went to a members house and ate cake and empinadas. After we ate he went outside and they threw buckets of nasty crap all over him. It was funny and disgusting ha ha i was just glad it wasn´t me.
The members here aren´t quite used to my sarcasm yet. I was at the bishops house for lunch the the bishops wife was listening to me read out loud in the Book of Mormon to help me with my pronunciation. At the end of the chapter she always asks me what i read. There was one chapter that was only six verses and i had no idea what it said. As always she asked "what did you read?" I replied by saying "I read six verses." she just sat there looking at me and didn´t really understand until we explained to her. I don´t know if sarcasm exists in argentina ha ha."

No comments:

Post a Comment