Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The first day of no school

I think that everyone is now back in school, my 13 year old daughter was one of the last, going back today. It was a different kind of milestone for my friends (if that's OK if I call you friends)the Frandsen's, as today was the first day that their little princess did not go back to school. I don't know why I was so touched by that little girl and why my heart is so broken over the grief and despair of a mother who has lost a child. It's a pain that I hope to never feel; nonetheless, it touches me deeply. Vittoria was the subject of my blog on August 21st, the day that I found out about her death. The poor little thing, not even eight, had been through so many surgeries that it was almost routine; except that this time father wanted her home.

We go through life not really knowing what each person we interact with in a day is feeling. We must be kind, lend a smile, somehow uplift everyone with whom we come in contact with each day, for a smile or a kind word is all that I have that may give my friends, or anyone else that is suffering, a glimpse of a smile on their faces. It may be that the biggest sourpuss or the one with the meanest disposition is the one who is suffering the most. Put self aside and reach out to lift and brighten the lives of others. I had no idea what to say today, even felt as if I was an intrusion on the day when I phoned; hopefully I was able to lift, maybe just a bit, even in my blundering way. May we search for peace because life is too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment